Tuesday 8 October 2013

4a. The initial questions

So... After a very long break from the blogging world, it is time for me to get back into it! I feel very nervous and scared that I won't be able to get back into the swing of this course. However, I have just had a skype session with Adesola and Melanie Brown, and now feel ready to plunge back into the module!

Over the summer I kept a sparse general to keep my mind constantly active when it came to this course. From module 1,  I discovered that the idea that really interested me was 'Why do we choreograph in the way that we do?'

Reader 4 states that module 2 is designed to explore a topic that will benefit your work and the work of collegues and fellow professionals. This statement is a good reminder to me that I must not get to bogged down with my own opinion, but rather explore and challenge past opinions and also find and create new ones.

Melanie and Adesola suggested that I blog my initial questions and then explore the world of literature and find out if anyone has explored these ideas before.

I have managed to narrow down my questions into 3 categories....

Choreography 

* Why do different choreographers have different creative processes?
* Are these different processes mainly linked to their personality, past experience, or the situation they are dealing with at the time?
* Does experience mean that you plan less before hand and allow your instincts to take over?
* Do different styles of dance require a different process?

Teaching

* What is more effective to make you better overall dancer, teaching technical exercises and building up vocabulary or allowing students to create work and developing technique as you go?
* How can one class effectively assess the skills of every person in the room?
* What is the most effective way of delivering dance?

Experience

* In the professional industry is vocational training important in order to teach in the industry?
* Do teachers have to have qualifications to be a good teacher?
* Does having performing experience make you a better teacher?
* Can all good performers teach?

Reflecting on these questions I can already see that some are a bit vague and need to be more specific, especially in the 'choreographic' section. This is frustrating, as this is the topic that initially interested me so I am going to try and develop it further.

I feel this whole area is a mine field and I need to slowly chisel away to develop the ideas and my thoughts.

Adesola advised me to think of myself as a butterfly or honey bee, taking little bits of knowledge from everywhere, rather than focusing to much on one area. I am going to try my hardest to stick to this imagery and try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I feel!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, when it comes to getting to involved in my own opinions and trying to create something, rather than just creating it! Sometimes with choreography, i get so caught up in the counts and steps that I then have blank moments where I cant develop something to fit that how I wanted it. I sometimes find I work better when I just let the creativity take over, I will just turn off the lights, play the music and dance however my body wants to dance. That's when I feel as though I am really in the creative process and I'm not just making something up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Iona,

    It's nice to see that you feel/felt the same as me with regards to getting back into the course!

    I feel your choreography section has great potential and I would be interested to see how those questions develop. I agree with Lizzy above about getting caught up in the steps which holds inspiration back and prevents you from achieving what you wanted. Getting too wrapped up and worrying doesn't really help and that I feel goes the same for how to approach this task.

    Your questions in the Experience section are ones that I have asked myself a number of times so I think are very valid and would be interesting to see what you find for answers as your investigation on the topic goes along.

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lizzie and Carla!

    Thank you both for your comments! It's a topic that I find so interesting.. I agree with what you are both saying, sometimes worrying to much can hinder the 'organic choreography' you can create when you just dance to the music and don't worry about the steps. I want to explore further into if this is the same for everyone or do people prefer to plan. Are they confident enough that they could walk into a room of 25 people be given the piece of music on the spot and just choreograph, or do they need time for their creative process to happen and if so what is that process? Carla, it's interesting to see you agree with the experience section- I think a lot of people question this throughout their career! xx

    ReplyDelete