Monday 11 March 2013

2b. The journal writing experience

So... After trying out all 9 of the different journal writing techniques individually, I decided to keep a diary for a week combining a few that I naturally liked. The techniques I used were the following:

* Initial
* Description
* Evaluation
* Reflection
* List

I found I tended to write my day in chronological order, summarising and describing key events. This naturally developed into me reflecting on what was good and bad about my day, and whether I had achieved all that I wanted. I developed this further by writing little lists at the side if things that were important to remember for the next day i.e. things I must do or research and the deadlines in which they had to be done. I found by combining a few different styles allowed me to not feel restricted to writing in a particular way. Depending  on what happened during my day, different writings styles became more prominent.

Monday 4th March- Friday 8th March 2013

During this week I started working as a Production Intern for a Charity Gala that is happening at the London Palladium. My job was very computer-based with a lot expected of me in a very short space of time. I found my writing style was very list based as I constantly had different deadlines and so organised my thoughts. I also had to plan four dance lessons I was covering at the weekend. I found I naturally used Kolb's Learning Cycle whilst planning which was something I had never been aware of doing until then. But Boud explains to us that journals enable learners to understand their own learning process. This definitely happened to me this week!

Saturday 9th March 2013

This was the day in which I covered various dance classes for a dance school in Teddington. My journal writing styled completely changed, becoming a lot more descriptive. I talked in great detail about each individual class so I wouldn't forget my experience. I found I also evaluated and then reflected a lot in this entry as I always learn a lot about myself when I teach a new class. 

Monday 11th March 2013

As I have an extremely busy week this week preparing for the Gala, I have used a chart in order to break down my week. This allows me to clearly see how many hours I am designating to different tasks, and keeps me ordered and organised. I also have to document a lot of choreography through writing and filming so this week my journal is full of notes and videos. But J. Moon encourages that journals come in any shape, size and form, so it's good for me to have variety.


Through the journal writing experience I have found that I have learnt a lot about how I approach tasks and see them through. I tend to write in a very organised way, and only waver from this style if my day has been fairly relaxed or not a lot has happened. I have also realised that I reflect and evaluate most when I am teaching as I seem to learn so much about myself and the students, as so constantly want to document my findings. The different writing techniques I use are a great way for me to reflect on my achievements and struggles, whilst challenging me to think about why certain things have happened and what I could do to improve or alter a situation. Overall a beneficial task...

No comments:

Post a Comment