Friday 28 February 2014

The research so far...

So on Wednesday I went for an observation in the morning with one choreographer, and then an interview in the evening with another. It was such a great day, and my mind is already whirring with ideas and further questions! 

The observation took place at Chichester university where I watched a rehearsal for the third year musical 'Anything Goes'. Without going into specific detail about the background of the choreographer, I immediately picked up on a signature style of movement, which is similar to that of another choreographer I know. Knowing that both these men are good friends, and are about 10 years apart in age, I now am very keen to know the reasons behind the similarity. Training at the same place? Friendship? Working on jobs together? Coincidence? 

I am hoping to complete the interview in the next few weeks so fingers crossed I will find out! 

The interview I conducted was with a choreographer I work with as mainly his assistant. The interview was incredible as I learnt so much about his past and how he has got to the place he is today. His signature style of choreography has a very specific process and I think through re listening to the audio and looking over my notes, I will be able to use the literature, to analyse this process. Once I have conducted some more interviews, I will be able to then cross reference against each other and find the similarities and differences.

Although I stil have a lot of research to do, I feel pleased that I have kick started the investigation, and that I am already drawing out interesting ideas... I can't wait to interview and observe more choreographers and see what I discover! 

No comments:

Post a Comment