Monday 28 April 2014

The editing of my essay...

So I have just received the feedback from my first draft. In general, Adesola seemed very positive about my work, and gave me some really useful points of advice.

One thing I am particularly struggling with ( and have throughout this entire course) is being able to stay within the word count limit. I genuinely really connect with my inquiry and find I want to write in too much detail about everything. However, Adesola gave me some really good advice. She said



In terms of the word count I suggest you go through for extra words you don't need.  I have crossed some out to give examples of ones that could be cut. This is like the choreographic process!!! Getting rid of the parts that do not need to be there to still make your point - making a clean 'line'.

Directly linking my problem to my inquiry is a great way for me to look at this essay in general. With my topic I have been trying to strip away an unnecessary parts in the choreographic process, and get to the essence of it and why it might be. This is exactly what I need to do with the essay. 

This approach really helped me decide how to conduct my professional artefact as I took this advice and wrote down the three main ideas I needed to show and then thought about the best way to show it. 

While I am still struggling with the word count, my new attitude towards it will hopefully help me to make this essay as 'straight to the point' as it can be!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Iona,

    I've had the same problem with the word count!
    I was at 7,000 words for just the analysis section alone about 2 weeks ago! :) I find I put in extra words I don't need and repeat myself several times which isn't necessary. I've been carefully going through it and getting rid of bits which has brought the word count down a bit. I'm currently at 3,500 for the analysis so not far off now! I've just got to decide which parts are more important to keep and which parts don't really add anything.
    I've become attached to it all though so it's hard making that decision!

    I'm glad your feedback for the draft was positive :) I've had positive feedback also which is encouraging and helps us give that final push to the end!

    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carla, thank goodness someone had the same problem as me! I just always struggle with the word count! But I agree with you. I have now got mine down to 6, 400 for the whole thing so that's ok. I just hard to be really concise and straight to the point... I can't wait to learn more about people's at the presentation day.

    Good luck

    Iona xx

    ReplyDelete